Monday, July 7, 2014

Homalium grandiflorum flowering once in about 20 years


Glorious flowering 
decks the heights of heaven
Like a bridal bouquet round and sweet
You fill my heart with gladness!


I hold you 
in my hand
And you hold me 
in Time.


A flowering
for my Being
And a happiness
forever.


You are my home
my earth
my forest
my love.


You are my tree
my wisdom
my strength
my own forgiveness.


You are my everything
my reason
for being
A joy untold.


I am blessed
Truly blessed
Ten thousand fold
and more.

Wayside Trees of Malaya: Flowering and Leafing (Page 37, Volume 1)
'There was, for instance, a forest-tree (Homalium grandiflorum) in Singapore Botanic Gardens which changed its leaves roughly once a year but which flowered only at very long intervals of some 20 years, and the Lanjut (Mangifera lagenifera) ia almost as tardy...' - E.J.H. Corner

This is a truly magnificent forest giant standing at least 35m tall (about 2m girth) observed flowering 5 July 2014. I am indeed blessed to be in the presence of her company and her rare flowering! This year also records a masting of the Dipterocarps too!